Wednesday, July 13, 2011

First Blood: Part II Movie Review


To be honest, I probably give this more of a 2.7 or 2.8 stars. I would categorize this film as a cheesy 80s action film. For essentially the entire film you turn your brain off and watch Rambo kill people and explosions. The best part about this film is Rambo being Rambo. Yes they try to throw in an emotional factor with rescuing captured POWS in Vietnam for some reason I can not connect with it. I am too busy watching Rambo get his revenge.

The one thing I noticed in the first film was that Rambo did not talk much, well that is not the case in this film. He talks a lot more and the poor writing comes through. Especially his interaction with his love interest/guide which is really cheesy and laughable. Their brief relationship seemed forced and only necessary to force him into badass Rambo when she dies.

The action in this film compared to the last is like night and day in terms of quantity. The problem with having so much action in this film is that you see the glaring flaws in the special effects at the time. Granted I am viewing a 1985 film in 2011 but the flaws are still there.

I must admit that I was disappointed in this film. It had a chance to improve upon the first one and balance both action and story, but instead it goes full tilt action and the story is just secondary. POWs still being in Vietnam so many years after the war should be something I should take seriously but when you surround it with cheesy action and acting it loses its emotional weight. Although I had a similar problem like this with the first film, that one feels a lot more serious than this one. Do I still recommend this film? Yes, but only if you want a cheesy 80s action film to watch

No comments:

Post a Comment