Friday, April 22, 2011

The Upcoming Summer movie season.

This summer will showcase a lot of intriguing films. I use the word intriguing because based on past summer movie seasons I am unwilling to predict what will be good and what will be bad. It is very much a seas on of the Super Hero movies, Thor, Captain America, X-men First class, Green Lantern and even Harry Potter who is considered a hero. You also have the Hangover 2 which is worth a watch if you enjoyed the first one, I have yet to really find anyone who outright hated that film. I cannot forget Pirates of the Caribbean On stranger tides, which is the fourth film in the franchise. Why they need to continue the franchise can only be because it is a huge moneymaker. In terms of story I am satisfied by what the previous 3 films have offered. There is also J.J. Abrams Super 8, the Sci-fi film Cowboys and Aliens, live action Smurfs film, and Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

The film i am most intrigued about and hope is a good film is Green Lantern and not because it is coming out on my birthday but because I love DC comics super heroes. I must confess that it has only been since since 2009 that I have actually started reading the actual comics, but I have been a fan of the heroes my entire life. Batman and Superman have been my favorites since I was a child, largely due to the Tim Burton films, Batman the animated series and The Christopher Reeve films. But for some reason in the last dozen years of films Marvel comics has dominated the movie scene. I do not hate Marvel comics at all, two of my favorite animated shows from the 90s is X-Men the animated series and Spider-Man the animated series. also if I like the first two X-men films, Iron Man film, Incredible Hulk film with Ed Norton. But, if someone made me choose DC comics would be my preference. The only thing DC has been able to do in the past decade is successfully reboot the Batman franchise with Christopher Nolan at the helm.
They tried to revive the Superman franchise with Bryan Singer's Superman Returns in 2006 which was a big letdown because I think all the fans yearned for a revival in the franchise because there had not been a Superman film since Superman IV: The Quest for Peace which was Christopher Reeves last foray as Superman. But the silver lining is there is indeed a reboot in the works being directed by Zack Snyder of "300" fame, which I believe will be coming out next year. DC really needs a winner in Green Lantern because Batman can not continue to carry the DC film banner. Also I am hearing that they want to create a Justice League film which I am ecstatic about they need to start laying the character foundation now. Granted they should have started several years ago like Marvel has done with the Avengers that is being Directed by the Genius that is Joss Whedon.

No comments:

Post a Comment